Fish is a great source of protein, low in saturated fat and can be made very tasty. This recipe is made from Basa fillets. I bought a bag of Basa fillets in the frozen section for $10.00 and it had 12 fillets in it. This means it is good for 4 dinners!
I adapted this recipe from a recipe I got from Chef’s plate. The kids love to scoop the avocado out of the skin and then mash it in the bowl.
- Basa fillets 3-4, thawed from frozen
- Small tortillas (8-10)
- Fajita spice or chili spice (Amount depends on how spicy your family likes it! I use 1 Tbsp for all fillets)
- Sweet potato – 1 medium
- Avocado – 2
- Cherry tomatoes – 1 cup
- Oil for pan
- Salt and pepper
- Wash, peel and dice sweet potato. Heat oil in a pan on medium and add sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring every minute until soft, approximately 10 minutes. Set aside in bowl.
- While your sweet potato’s are cooking, cut the avocado’s in half and scoop the inside into a bowl. Remove pits and mash with a fork. Cut cherry tomatoes in half and add to avocados. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using the same pan, add basa fillet’s. Sprinkle half of fajita or chili spice on top. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip. Sprinkle other half of spice on top and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Take off heat and break fish up with spatula. Put in bowl.
- Take each tortilla, put a small handful of sweet potato and a small handful of fish in and roll: First fold the two sides in and then roll up (if you don’t roll with sides folded in, the contents will fall out).
- Add rolled taco’s, seam side down to a heated pan to crisp the tortillas and seal your roll.
- Serve with avocado and tomato mixture for a tasty Mexican Fish dinner!